PPE for the Frontline!
This Sunday, our Minister, Steph, brings us the latest of our short video talks. Once you have watched the video, we encourage you to reflect on the bible text and join us in the prayer that follows below.
In her talk, Steph talked about the recent news reports about frontline staff in the NHS running out of P.P.E. and having to rely on flimsy aprons that left them exposed to the unseen enemy.
She pointed out the parallel to us as Christians needing PPE as we face invisible spiritual enemies.
To listen to the talk click here.
Ephesians 6:10-18 (The Message)
10-12 …God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we’ll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.
13-18 Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it’s all over but the shouting you’ll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You’ll need them throughout your life. God’s Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.
Prayer & Reflection
Ephesians 3:14-21 (NIVUK)
For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge – that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Questions to Consider
1. Many years ago we used to sing hymns like “Onward Christian Soldiers”, that recognised that we are in a Spiritual battle. Are you aware in your own life of this battle being fought? If so, how does it manifest itself?
2. If so, how well armed are you to fight, and are their chinks in your armour that you are aware of?
3. Hospital staff help one another to put on their PPE. What are the practical ways that we can help each other to don our PPE?
4. If the word of God is an indispensable weapon, what are we doing to get armed?
5. We are encouraged to pray hard and long. How are you doing with this? What do you think would help you to develop your prayer life?
6. What are you able to do to help to keep others spirits up so that they don’t fall behind or drop out?
And finally may we encourage you all to join together wherever you are for a day of prayer and fasting on Sunday the 3rd of May.