New & Improved:
Part One - The Mental Fight
This Sunday, Rob Lea brings us the latest of our short video talks. Once you have watched the video, we encourage you to reflect on the bible text and join us in the prayer that follows below.
To listen to the talk click here.
Luke chapter 12, verses 22 to 26 (New International Version)
Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
Philippians chapter 4, verses 6 to 8 (New International Version)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Prayer & Reflection
Lord God, your word tells us that we should “Praise the Lord and forget not all his benefits.” We confess that not only do we often show ingratitude for your many blessings, but also we are guilty of feeding our minds on the things and places in the world that humans have made ugly. For this Lord we are sorry, please forgive us.
Lord, by the power of your Holy Spirit, we ask you to help us to stop any habitual negative, destructive thinking and bad behaviour that we have slipped into – sometimes over may years.
Please help us Lord to take steps to fill our minds instead with all the things that you have given us that bring joy and peace of mind. In particular Lord, instil in us a passion for your word so that we commit to memory specific verses that will become ingrained in our conscious mind and so positively impact on our thought processes – help us to think about these things.
Lord thank you that you hear our prayers. AMEN.
Questions to Consider
1. During this ‘Lock-Down’ period, what have you done to improve your mind, body or spirit?
2. What is it that causes most anxiety and stress in your life, and what do you do to manage it?
3. Is worrying ever useful? If yes, how is it useful?
4. What sort of habits have you slipped into that have a negative impact on you mental health and strength? (Television; Internet; Social Media; News Obsessed; Use of Negative Language)
5. How will you stop the bad habits that you indulge in? What steps will you take and when? Who might you be accountable to?
6. What will you do to start feeding your mind? Do you have a regular time each day when you read the bible? What verses from the bible have you committed to memory?
7. Is it your habit to pray as you take your daily exercise? Could it become a habit?
8. Do you regularly “count your blessings” and thank God for them?