Stuff in the Basement: Part 1 - Your Heart's Desire
This Sunday, Simon Lace brings us the latest of our short video talks. Once you have watched the video, we encourage you to reflect on the bible text and join us in the prayer that follows below.
To listen to the talk click here.
Matthew chapter 6 verse 33 (KJV)
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Psalm 37 verse 4 (NLT)
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires.
Prayer & Reflection
Lord God, we take delight in You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We delight in the many gifts that You have given us, and we delight too in the glorious wonders of Your creation. We confess and say sorry for the times we ignore You and take You for granted. Father, by Your Spirit, conform us into the likeness of Your beloved Son, Jesus Christ, and help us to delight in You day by day. We ask too that You change our hearts – please fulfil those desires within us that it pleases You to fulfil, and take away any desires in us that do not give glory to You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Questions to Consider
1. Imagine going down the steps into a cellar full of your hopes, dreams and ambitions. Take some time with this, and in a prayerful state, start going through the things you find there. What are they? What are some of the things you would honestly say are the desires of your heart?
2. Think about your family, friends and neighbours. What are the desires of your heart when it comes to those relationships?
3. Thinking about your plans and ambitions, perhaps projects you have often dreamt about, what are those things you’ve never got around too, or given up on? Talk to God about them.
4. Take a walk or a bike ride today, and think about some of those things in the basement of your soul. Pray about them and ask God to help you with them.
5. Are there any “desires of your heart” that, honestly, you know are not quite right? Get before God about them and again, ask him to help you deal with them.
6. To repeat from last week - how important is Jesus in your ‘day-to-day’ life? Are you entwined with him? If not, what steps can you take to change that, so that God is intimately involved with you in all of your hopes and dreams?
7. What are the things that cause you delight? Are you consciously able to give God the glory for them and to delight in Him? Where do prayer and reading the bible fit into that, for you?