Stuff in the Basement: Part 4 - No Regrets
This Sunday, Simon Lace brings us the latest of our short video talks. Once you have watched the video, we encourage you to reflect on the bible text and join us in the prayer that follows below.
To listen to the talk click here.
Psalm 51, verses 1 to 17 (NLT)
1 Have mercy on me, O God,
because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
blot out the stain of my sins.
2 Wash me clean from my guilt.
Purify me from my sin.
3 For I recognize my rebellion;
it haunts me day and night.
4 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
and your judgment against me is just.
5 For I was born a sinner—
yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
6 But you desire honesty from the womb,
teaching me wisdom even there.
7 Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Oh, give me back my joy again;
you have broken me—
now let me rejoice.
9 Don’t keep looking at my sins.
Remove the stain of my guilt.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you.
13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels,
and they will return to you.
14 Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves;
then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.
15 Unseal my lips, O Lord,
that my mouth may praise you.
16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
You do not want a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
Prayer & Reflection
Loving God, we know, deep down in our souls, that Your way is the best way. We are sorry and ask that you forgive us for when we’ve gone our own way. Please forgive us and lead us back to the path You have marked out for us.
Father, make us more like You’re beloved Son, Jesus. By the power of Your Holy Spirit, please help us, change us, transform us according to Your holy and perfect will.
Lord God, comfort us about our regrets so that we don’t feel the burden of them anymore. Help us not to store up any more regrets, but help us to always delight in You, and as we delight in You, please give us Father the desires of our hearts. Amen.
Questions to Consider
1. What are some of things you have done, or not done, that you regret?
2. Is there anything you have learned from by experiencing regret? Are there any times you have done/not done something because you remember regretting similar things in the past?
3. In light of your own regrets, is there a situation that you can think of where you would advise someone to avoid making the same mistake you did?
4. Thinking ahead, and recalling your hopes and dreams – the desires of your heart – what’s in that “box” for you that you’ll really regret if you do nothing about it? What start could you make? Have you written down those dreams somewhere – and what will you do about them?
5. What events or habits do you have that you know are wrong, and go against God’s way? Have you confessed those things?
6. What will you do today to delight yourself in God?
7. Which part of this series has impacted you the most? Which of the boxes of “stuff in the basement” do you still need to open up with God – and when will you start?