Avatar Part 3 – Justice for All?
This Sunday, Steph Littlejohn brings us the latest of our short video talks. Once you have watched the video, we encourage you to reflect on the bible text and join us in the prayer that follows below.
To listen to the talk click here.
Romans chapter 12 verses 14-21 (New International Version)
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
Live in harmony with one another.
Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.
Do not be conceited.
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ says the Lord.
On the contrary:
‘If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.’
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Prayer & Reflection
Heavenly father may your holy name be revered.
May your kingdom of Justice peace and love be a reality on Earth.
Help us to live out your will to bring a taste of heaven to earth.
Give us the spiritual, physical and emotional resources we need every day to do this.
Forgive us for all the ways we have wronged you or others and help us to forgive those who have offended and hurt us.
Keep us from falling into temptation.
Keep us from coming under the influence of evil and giving in to it.
It is your glorious kingdom we long to see, your power we long to live in and your glory we long to see revealed.
Questions to Consider
1. Read the passage a couple of times. What jumps out at you or shocks you? Why is that?
2. This passage is about choosing to be like Jesus and not conforming to the culture around you. How aware are you of the choices that you make every day to go with the culture or choose to be like Jesus? How could you increase this awareness? Think of a couple of strategies.
3. List the characteristics in this passage that we are encouraged to adopt. Which bits of being like Jesus as written about in this passage do you particularly struggle with? Why is that?
4. How hard would it be for you to live like this? What needs to change in oyur attitudes and actions?
5. How can you bless those who offend you this week? How can you choose to be more like Jesus?
6. What do you need to do in response to this?