Are you Prepared?
This Sunday, Rob Lea brings us the talk in the latest of our EBC Online services. Once you have watched the video, we encourage you to reflect on the bible text and join us in the prayer that follows below.
To listen to the talk click here.
John chapter 15, verses 1 to 5 (NIV translation)
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
John chapter 16, verse 33 (NIV translation)
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Prayer & Reflection
Lord we thank you that because of your love and grace you have made it possible that we can be intimately attached to you, the true vine. Thank You for giving us the strength to withstand the storms of life that cause worry, frustration, and doubt, the storms that try and knock us down. We are prepared because we have faith and confidence in your promise that you will remain in us as we remain in you. AMEN
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Questions to Consider
1. Do you agree that the bible can help to prepare us for ‘life’s storms’? If you do, what specifically has helped you?
2. Jesus used the metaphor of vine and branch. Do you think that you are as close to Jesus as a branch is to the vine? If yes, what are your reasons for thinking that? If no, what could you do to be closer to Jesus?
3. What was Jesus getting at when he said, “every branch that does bear fruit he [the Father] prunes so that it will be even more fruitful”?
4. Jesus also said, “Apart from me you can do nothing.” Can you explain what he meant?
5. What “Life Storms” have you had to face in the past? How did being close to Jesus help you?
6. Why do you think that there is no such thing as a solitary Christian? Surely people can follow Jesus on their own, can’t they? What are the dangers of doing that?
7. Finally, are you prepared to face life’s storms? If not, what are you going to do about it?